Mac Studio, iPad Air, and Studio Display deep dives on the AppleInsider podcast
AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
On this week's episode of the AppleInsider podcast, we go in-depth on Apple's new Mac Studio desktop powered by M1 Ultra, iPad Air with M1, plus how the Studio Display compares to LG UltraFine displays, and more.
During its "Peek Performance" event, Apple updated the iPhone SE with the A15 Bionic chip, Ceramic Shield glass, and 5G cellular connectivity. The new iPhone SE costs $429, a $30 increase from the previous model.
Next, there's an issue over just how the iPhone SE compares to iPhone 13 mini - and who Apple's target audience for each phone is.
Then the iPad Air has been updated with 5G cellular connectivity, Ultra-Wide front-facing camera with Center Stage, and it's now powered by the M1 chip. These updates do rather blur the line between iPad Air and the 11-inch iPad Pro. Your hosts dive into the differences between these two iPad models, and consequently also look ahead to how Apple will position the next iPad Pro.
Back to now, though, and Apple's brand new Mac Studio desktop is a welcome addition to the lineup. Powered by the M1 Ultra, early Geekbench testing reveals that this Mac Studio outperforms even the top-tier Mac Pro models with Intel Xeon chips. During the event, thought, Apple made it clear it still plans to update Mac Pro with Apple Silicon.
Finally offering a lower-cost first-party display, Apple also launched its Studio Display at the event, starting at $1,599. Studio Display comes with an A13 chip, Ultra-Wide 12MP camera, Spatial Audio six-speaker array, and three-microphone array. There's a lot to like, and a lot to discuss, but it also bears comparing the new Apple monitor with LG's old range of UltraFine displays.
Contact our hosts
- Submit anonymous tips on Signal: +1 863-703-0668
- @stephenrobles on Twitter
- @WGallagher on Twitter
- SuperBeets: Get up to 45% OFF and free shipping when you visit: superbeets.com/appleinsider
- Headspace: Get a FREE one-month trial with access to the entire Headspace library! Visit headspace.com/appleinsider to learn more.
- MasterClass: Get 15% off an annual membership to MasterClass when you visit: masterclass.com/appleinsider
- Grammarly: Sign up for FREE, and when you're ready to upgrade to Grammarly Premium, get 20% off at: grammarly.com/appleinsider
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- Apple praised and slammed for representation of women at March event
- Everything Apple released at the Peek Performance event - and what we thought
- Apple TV+ offers weekly MLB game streams
- Apple announces the third-generation iPhone SE with 5G and A15 Bionic
- New iPhone SE supports only sub-6 GHz 5G, not full mmWave
- Apple debuts new green colors for iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro
- Apple updates Apple Watch band and iPhone case colors for Spring 2022
- Apple unveils fifth-gen iPad Air with M1 processor, 5G, and new colors
- Leaked M1 Ultra Mac Studio benchmarks prove it outclasses top Mac Pro
- Apple's Mac Studio launches with new M1 Ultra chip in a compact package
- Mac Studio with M1 Ultra is heavier because of heat and material choices
- Apple hints at new Apple Silicon Mac Pro during its latest keynote
- Apple launches the 27-inch Apple Studio Display with 5K, speakers, camera
- Apple Studio Display only starts at $1599, and can easily climb to $2458
- Apple's 3-meter Thunderbolt 4 cable is a steal at $159 - The Verge
- Apple teases new filmmaking tools coming to iMovie in April
- After an over 12-year run, Apple has discontinued the 27-inch iMac
- Next Mac mini will have M2 and M2 Pro Apple Silicon chip options
- MacBook Air with new form factor, more colors to arrive in 2022, Kuo says
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.
Podcast artwork from Basic Apple Guy. Download the free wallpaper pack here.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.