The U.S. International Trade Commission is looking into allegations that Apple is importing devices that infringe on Nokia patents, such as iPhones and iPads, a report said on Tuesday.
Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Breathometer, producer of a breathalyzer accessory for the iPhone, has agreed to provide refunds to customers in a settlement with the Federal Trade Commission, after claims about the device's lack of accuracy were investigated by the regulatory group.
Si-Ware on Tuesday revealed an iPhone-compatible spectroscopy chip, the NeoSpectra Micro, which could potentially expand the uses of both mobile devices and wearables in areas like health, science, and nutrition.
Even though Apple has not yet released a beta for new watchOS system software, it has shared some notes about it, with additions including SiriKit on the Apple Watch, and Theater Mode being implemented in it and not the iPhone as previously rumored.
Apple allowing developers to respond to user reviews in App Stores with iOS 10.3, more improvements coming
As part of feedback collected by Apple, when iOS 10.3 ships to customers the company is adding the ability for an app's developer to respond to complaints or praise, with the response available for all to see in the App Store — and more improvements for developers are coming.
Ford has become the latest car manufacturer to draw high-level employees away from Apple, with marketing executive Musa Tariq appointed as a vice president and chief brand officer of the major automobile producer.
One day after the last updates of iOS and macOS, Apple has released three new betas, bringing "Find my AirPods" and APFS to iOS, a new Night Shift mode to macOS, and fast scrolling to tvOS 10.2.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Though iPhone shipments could fall under Wall Street consensus for the December quarter, Apple's revenue from the product should be boosted by high consumer favor for Plus models, an analyst noted on Tuesday.
Gamevice has updated its range of MFi-certified game controllers for iOS devices, with the second-generation iPhone and iPad controllers introducing support for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, and the addition of a Lightning port.
The Indian government will probably reject Apple's requests for waiving taxes and duties on imports in exchange for setting up local manufacturing, reports claimed on Tuesday ahead of a Wednesday meeting between the company and government officials.
'Right to Repair' bills in five states could force Apple to provide iPhone parts, support to independent repair shops
Five states have introduced bills that would give citizens the "Right to Repair" electronics, compelling Apple and other manufacturers to provide service manuals and easier access to spare parts to consumers and third-party repair shops.
Apple's 2017 iPhone models will likely ship with an enhanced version of Siri, reflecting growing competition in the AI assistant space, a report said on Tuesday.
The European Commission's order for Apple to pay Ireland 13 billion euros ($14 billion) in back taxes is an overreach of power, with PricewaterhouseCoopers' head of Irish tax matters Feargal O'Rourke claiming the move is tantamount to a "land grab."
In spite of the major financial hit it took after the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung Electronics on Tuesday said it managed a 50 percent boost in operating profits during the December quarter, thanks to a combination of high chip sales and other phones filling in the gap.
Apple on Tuesday was granted a patent detailing a modular accessories system for Apple Watch that disguises electrical components like batteries, biometric sensors, solar cells and more as links in the wearable's metal band.
Monday, January 23, 2017
Qualcomm is expected to continue supplying modems and other components to Apple despite facing a $1 billion lawsuit over patent royalties and a related U.S. Federal Trade Commission action involving the Cupertino tech giant, according to a report on Monday,
Continuing Apple's big day of software releases, the company on Monday issued a minor iTunes update that delivers bug fixes and performance improvements to Mac and Windows users.
Yoky Matsuoka, a leading expert in the fields of robotics and artificial intelligence, is returning to Alphabet's Nest Labs after serving less than nine months on the job at Apple, where she was in charge of various health-related projects including aspects of Apple Watch.
AT&T's DirecTV has successfully managed to acquire more than 200,000 paying subscribers within one month of its launch on November 30, but despite the growth, customers of the Internet TV provider are continuing to endure issues with the service.
Now heading up Autopilot development at Tesla, former Apple director Chris Lattner says that he's hoping to "accelerate the path to cars being appliances that solve people's problems," rather than machines that require constant maintenance.
A new listing on the U.S. Federal Communications Commission's regulatory database reveals Apple is still working on an unannounced product equipped with near-field technology that first surfaced in September of 2016.
If you received a new Mac for the holidays or bought a 2016 12" MacBook on release day, now is the time to purchase an AppleCare extended protection plan before the one-year warranty expires. Adorama is slashing prices on standalone AppleCare purchases by as much as $90 — and all plans comes with free shipping and no tax outside NY and NJ.
Apple has reached a settlement with a San Antonio, Tex.-based firm called e-Watch, which claimed that the company was violating two U.S. patents related to cellphone cameras.
Google has relaunched Google Voice, refreshing the VoIP service with an updated web experience and modernized iOS and Android apps, among other new features, in the cross-platform calling service's first significant update in over five years.
Deals: 2016 13" MacBook Pro for $1,275; $250 off 15" MacBook Pro; $300 off 13" Touch Bar MBP w/ AppleCare
Matching the lowest price seen to date, shoppers can save $225 on a 2016 13" MacBook Pro with function keys. Apple's Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro is also $2,149, while a 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and AppleCare is $1,748.99 ($300 off). Plus, Pixelmator for iOS is under a buck.
Adding to the bevy of updates, Apple on Monday released watchOS 3.1.3 and tvOS 10.1.1, the former being Apple's first Watch update since the botched 3.1.1 code from December.
In conjunction with iOS, tvOS, and watchOS updates, Apple has also released the 10.12.3 update to macOS Sierra, bringing GPU driver updates to the 2016 MacBook Pro, and a fix for PDF corruption.
Wrapping up weeks of beta testing, Apple on Monday released the completed version of iOS 10.2.1, a minor update for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
One of the continuing advantages of Google Maps over Apple's native iOS Maps app is better support for going offline — something particularly important when going on vacation, traveling through rural areas, or otherwise passing through regions with weak internet access. Here's how to take advantage of those offline functions on your iPhone or iPad.
Apple chip supplier Qualcomm could take a major financial hit if the former decides to withhold royalties until its $1 billion lawsuit is finished, an analyst noted on Monday.
An ice fishing accident has led to an unexpected demonstration of the iPhone 7's water resistance capabilities, after an iPhone 7 Plus was retrieved from the bottom of a frozen-over river, and found to be in perfect working order.
Owing to precautions set up in the wake of the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung's next rival to the Apple iPhone — the Galaxy S8 — won't be revealed at late February's Mobile World Congress show in Barcelona, the company's mobile head revealed on Monday.
Apple has shut down a second dedicated Apple Watch gallery, with the closure of the boutique store in the Galeries Lafayette shopping center in Paris taking place weeks after a similar Apple Watch pop-up shop in London closed.
Apple has indeed picked Wistron to be its first iPhone manufacturer in India, with plans to get the company working phones launching later this year, a report claimed on Monday — despite Apple having not yet secured a deal to set up Indian manufacturing.
Apple is looking into claims by a number of AirPods owners that the audio accessories have connectivity issues, with the Bluetooth connection temporarily dropping during phone calls, yet not during music playback.
Sprint has announced that it has forged a deal for 33 percent ownership of music streaming service Tidal, and as part of the deal, Sprint customers will receive "exclusive artist content" not available anywhere else.
Sunday, January 22, 2017
Apple's main manufacturing partner, Foxconn, is considering the possibility of a $7 billion joint investment in an automated display production facility in the U.S., the latter company's chairman said on Sunday.
Samsung has concluded its investigation involving the 2016 Galaxy Note 7 fires, and has determined that two different flaws resulted in the conflagrations in the failing devices, with one creeping in after a too-quick investigation.
- Hands-on with the completely revamped Terminology dictionary app
- Head to head: Apple's Time Machine versus three local backup utilities for macOS
- Apple expected to replace Touch ID with two-step facial, fingerprint bio-recognition tech
- Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary visits Yokohama Apple R&D center, confirms March opening
- Qualcomm responds to Apple lawsuit, says iPhone maker behind 'regulatory attacks'
- Apple to adopt new 3D Touch technology for OLED iPhone
- This week on AI: Apple v. Qualcomm, OLED iPhone rumors, MacBook Pro updates and more
- Apple gross margin likely impacted by alleged $1B Qualcomm 'extortion,' but lawsuits might lead to better chip deals
- Apple accuses Qualcomm of extortion, monopolistic practices, price-gouging and more in lawsuit
- Vine creates searchable video archive after social network shut down
- Rumor: FaceTime group video calls to debut in iOS 11
- Report claims Apple Music pays more to record labels in royalties per stream than Spotify
- Apple Deals: Save $169 to $369 on 27-inch iMac 5Ks & 21.5-inch iMac 4Ks with AppleCare
- Apple sues iPhone modem supplier Qualcomm, claims $1 billion in payments withheld over FTC probe
- Canadian antitrust bureau reaches deal with Apple and e-book publishers
- LifeProof ships waterproof Nuud cases for Apple's iPhone 7 & 7 Plus
- Investment firm BlackRock increases stake in Apple stock, now owns 6.1% of shares
- Deals: 32GB Apple TV for $129; $150 off 2016 13" MacBook Pro; 1TB 27" iMac 5K for $2,199
- Security concerns force President Trump to ditch Android phone
- Apple CEO Tim Cook receives $3.6M from small sale of 30,000 shares, weeks after $1.5M pay cut
- Timepage calendar iPhone app by Moleskine adds style to events
- How to watch the presidential inauguration of Donald Trump live on your iPhone, iPad or Apple TV
- Popular beauty app Meitu checks if iPhone is jailbroken, sends carrier data back to Chinese developer
- Lion's share of Apple's revenue expansion after 'iPhone 8' expected from services growth
- Apple 'wish list' for Indian manufacturing includes breaks on taxes & duties for imports
- AppleInsider podcast talks about Apple and culture change, plus iPad rumors
- Deals: Apple Watch Series 2 in stock for $369; DJI Mavic Pro for $999 including tax; 512GB 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar for $1,899
- Simply Mac stores closing amid apparent corporate restructuring
- Apple updates pro video apps with bug fixes, feature additions
- Samsung to reveal cause of Galaxy Note 7 explosions on Sunday
- How to pair Apple's AirPods with iPhone and Mac
- Unicode committee to meet at Apple campus, discuss addition of redhead emoji
- How to add and switch between Instagram accounts on iPhone
- Apple provides new iOS design resources compatible with Photoshop and Sketch
- Samsung 'Galaxy S8' assistant Bixby said to use camera-based visual search to take on Siri
- Apple News gets extended formatting options for creators, refreshed tutorial
- In final days in office, Obama's White House uses words of Steve Jobs to woo techies
- NHTSA closes investigation into fatal Tesla Autopilot accident, says no defect to blame
- Android users will need to wait 3 months for 'Super Mario Run' after iOS-exclusive debut
- Google struggling to meet consumer demand for iPhone 7 rival Pixel
- Component supplier Lite-On reportedly supplier of wireless charging components destined for 'iPhone 8'
- Apple & Amazon end exclusive audiobook deal to escape German antitrust complaints
- Rumor: Apple's trio of new iPads may not launch until second half of 2017
Saturday, January 21, 2017
Friday, January 20, 2017
Thursday, January 19, 2017