Dropbox recently notified users of a potential forced password reset after its security team discovered a batch of account credentials believed to have been obtained from a known 2012 data breach. While the initial announcement failed to specify the exact number of impacted users, a report on Tuesday puts the number at well over 68 million.
Tuesday, August 30, 2016
Glass maker Corning on Tuesday announced commercial availability of Gorilla Glass SR+, a composite cover material designed specifically to take on the stresses endured by wearable devices like Apple Watch.
Answering the call of power users — and avid iPhone photographers — Apple on Tuesday expanded its iCloud storage options to include a 2-terabyte tier priced at $19.99 per month.
Google is reportedly taking its first real steps into ridesharing via its Waze navigation app, entering into competition with Uber and Lyft, and potentially setting up a tougher market if and when Apple launches its self-driving car.
Once again, BitTorrent client Transmission has distributed malware to some users through an altered installer, with downloaders of the software on Aug. 28 and 29 probably infected by the "Keydnap" package.
Accessory maker Mophie on Tuesday revealed several Powerstation battery packs compatible with iOS devices, including models supporting wireless and USB-C charging.
Actress Jessica Alba has joined the developer advisory team for the Apple-funded "Planet of the Apps" reality show, chronicling several teams of developers working on apps for iOS.
On Tuesday the Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey extended an open invitation for Apple to move its international operations to that country, in the wake of a E.U. ruling ordering Ireland to collect $14.5 billion in back taxes from the company.
Intel has shed some specific details for the first time about the new seventh generation Kaby Lake processors suitable for the MacBook and MacBook Air, but as expected, processors suitable for the MacBook Pro have yet to materialize.
Deals: $150-$290 off 15" MacBook Pros; 12" MacBook for $964; 13" MacBook Pro (2.7GHz, 8GB, 256GB) for $1,200
Shoppers this week can snap up a 15" MacBook Pro at up to $290 off or take advantage of $335 off a 2015 12" MacBook in Space Gray with exclusive coupon savings. Apple's current 13" MacBook Pro with 256GB of storage space is also $300 off on eBay while supplies last.
An Apple patent published on Tuesday could potentially be applied to building touch-sensing surfaces, including screens, using material concepts first developed by Liquidmetal Technology.
Griffin has added to its stable of wireless adapters and is catering to the needs of potential "iPhone 7" users with a 3.5mm headphone jack to Bluetooth adapter, dubbed the iTrip Clip.
While a $14.5 billion payment of back taxes could bankrupt many major corporations, it's pocket change for a company as cash flush as Apple. As a result, analysts surveyed by AppleInsider on Tuesday said they aren't concerned about the European Commission's decision, regardless of how an appeal ultimately plays out.
Apple has posted a series of answers to questions about the European Commission's tax ruling, and appears to be unconcerned about any potential financial fallout.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on iMacs and MacBooks with AppleCare (up to $430 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to score the lowest prices anywhere on 27-inch iMac 5Ks, 15-inch MacBook Pros and remaining 2015 12-inch MacBooks bundled with AppleCare. Save up to $430 instantly with free shipping and no tax in most states.
Tuesday, August 30, 2016
In anticipation of Apple's iPhone 7 announcement on Sept. 7, BuyBackWorld this week is offering an extended price lock and the industry's most aggressive cash payouts on iPad (up to $627) and iPhone trade-ins (up to $423) when you use an exclusive 10% bonus coupon. [Updated pricing 8/30/16]
A sticker claimed to be from a returned "iPhone 7" prototype at Foxconn may reinforce rumors that Apple is raising base storage on the device to 32 gigabytes.
A reference to a "Dynamic Function Row" has been spotted in Apple's latest release of the Pages word processing app, potentially confirming a rumored name for the OLED touch bar on the new MacBook Pro.
With just over a week until Apple is expected to take the wraps off of its next-generation iPhone, a new report claims that the device will actually come in two shades of black — a traditional matte, as well as a glossy option resembling the late 2013 Mac Pro desktop.
After being hit with a $14.5 billion tab for alleged unpaid back taxes, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook published an open letter to the "Apple Community" on Tuesday, saying he is "confident" that the decision from the European Commission will be reversed.
On Tuesday, the European Commission handed down its biggest tax penalty yet, ordering Apple to pay 13 billion euros ($14.5 billion) in back taxes — but both Ireland and Apple are appealing the ruling.
A series of regulatory filings published by the Eurasian Economic Commission on Monday suggests Apple is readying a pair of wireless headphones dubbed "AirPods," two new iPhone models and a total of ten Apple Watch models.
Monday, August 29, 2016
Apple calls Australian banks' request to bargain over Apple Pay a detriment to consumers, mobile wallet adoption
Apple in a recent filing with Australia's antitrust watchdog slammed a request from the country's three top banks for collective negotiations over third-party access to Apple Pay NFC technology, saying a threatened boycott would not only harm consumers, but hinder mobile wallet adoption and innovation.
Alphabet executive David Drummond, leads a number of Google investment arms including GV, recently stepped down from Uber's board as the two companies work to bring their respective self-driving car projects to market.
On Monday the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ordered the dismissal of a 2014 Federal Trade Commission lawsuit against AT&T, which had accused the company of misleading marketing in throttling data plans it sold to the public as "unlimited."
Apple to debut standalone 5K monitor, MacBook Air refresh, 'pro' iPad software features, report says
Apple is working to release a fresh batch of Mac hardware including a standalone 5K display made in partnership with LG, MacBook Air and iMac refreshes, and new iPad Pro software catering to professional users, according to a report on Monday.
With just over a week to go before Apple is expected to announce an official macOS 10.12 Sierra release date, the company on Monday issued the latest beta versions of the operating system to developers and public beta testers for evaluation.
An app ostensibly for browsing Dribbble passed through Apple's App Store review process despite coming loaded with a hidden feature that allowed users running iOS 9.3.3 or earlier to jailbreak their device.
As expected, Apple will be video streaming the Sept. 7 release event through its regular channels, and Siri's responses have been updated with humorous quips to "see you on the 7th."
A new class action lawsuit against Apple claims that the company has been aware of the so-called "touch disease" on 2014 iPhones for some time, and unfairly refused to repair affected devices at no cost.
The success of this year's "iPhone 7" could depend largely on Apple's ability to convince a growing number of users on pre-iPhone 6 models that it's time to finally upgrade, one analyst believes.
As has become customary with Apple event invitations, fans are dissecting the minimalistic graphic associated with its Sept. 7 keynote invitation, in a futile attempt to glean clues. In reality, all of the guesses are probably just some form of wish fulfillment.
On Tuesday the European Commission will find against Ireland's tax arrangements with Apple, and ask the country to collect over 1 billion euros ($1.119 billion) in back taxes, a report claimed on Monday.
Responding to early criticism of its One unlimited plan, T-Mobile on Monday announced some significant changes, including the creation of a "One Plus" tier costing an additional $25 per month.
In what appears to be a theme with lucky number 7, Apple on Monday sent out invitations to members of the media for a keynote presentation on Sept. 7, where the company is expected to announce its next-generation "iPhone 7."
Fitbit on Monday announced the latest addition to its iOS-connectable fitness tracker lineup, with the $150 Fitbit Charge 2, and $100 Fitbit Flex 2.
Philips has introduced several new products to its Apple HomeKit-capable Hue lighting system, most notably the Motion Sensor, which can be used to trigger different actions based not just on movement but the time of day.
Cosmetics tycoon Glenn Dellimore purchased the "Celebration" prototype Apple-1 board, and believes that it is the "holy grail" of modern computing and has a future value similar to that of Monet or Picasso paintings.
Microsoft on Monday released a new ad for the Surface Pro 4, directly comparing the tablet against the MacBook Air, and painting it as more feature-complete than Apple's similarly-priced product.
- Alleged 'iPhone 7' series specs could detail Apple's next-gen cameras
- Photo hints at bigger, 334mAh battery in second-gen Apple Watch
- How virtual and augmented reality could play a role in Apple's future
- Inside Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro: Graphics processing unit choices
- This week on AI: Three iPhones in 2017, Apple takes on Snapchat, surprise iOS 9.3.5 update & more
- Britney Spears' album 'Glory' debuts, but not as Apple Music exclusive
- Apple CEO Tim Cook sells $36M in Apple stock after receiving 5-year RSU bonus
- Deals: $100-$350 off 13" MacBook Airs; $100 off 2016 12" MacBooks; 30% off plus free shipping at Zagg; 2012 13" MacBook Pro for $795
- Spotify allegedly retaliating against Apple Music exclusives by 'burying' artist content [u]
- Sources: iPhone 6 series 'touch disease' now accounting for about 11% of Apple Store repairs
- Giveaway: Win a Stanley Stand and iPhone Wally Wallet Case from Distil Union
- Apple issues 8th developer beta of iOS 10, 7th public release
- UMG moratorium on exclusives may have killed Lady Gaga deal with Apple Music
- 'iPhone 7' production affected by low yields on waterproof speaker, dual camera - report
- Intel plots attack on Apple's partnership with TSMC, looks to build A-series chips by 2018
- Fox Sports Go app for Apple TV lets viewers watch four games simultaneously
- UK carrier EE, Germany's Deutsche Telekom expected to offer six months of free Apple Music
- AppleInsider podcast talks Apple Health, machine learning, 'iPhone 7' rumors
- Apple gets green light to add 1,000 jobs at Irish headquarters
- Apple again rumored to axe iPhone home button in 2017
- Apple to integrate Japan's FeliCa tap-to-pay standard in next-gen iPhone, report says
- Watchdog group finds Pegatron exploiting workers in lead up to 'iPhone 7' launch
- Apple-1 'Celebration' motherboard auction pulls in $815K
- Apple's Siri & rivals being hampered by poor microphone tech
- Dangerous, targeted iPhone attack nullified by Apple with iOS 9.3.5 patch
- Apple's iTunes ranks fourth in JD Power satisfaction survey for paid streaming video
- Apple issues iOS 9.3.5 update, patching serious security issues discovered just 10 days ago
- WhatsApp says it will share some data with Facebook for ads & other purposes
- Spigen rolls the dice, launches 33 protective cases for Apple's unannounced 'iPhone 7' lineup
- DJI debuts iPhone-connected Osmo+ camera with zoom & other enhancements
- Apple Maps team enhances Japanese station data, setting stage for transit directions in iOS 10
- Supply chain sees tablet market expansion, with Apple's iPad holding fast
- Apple to take on Snapchat, Facebook in 2017 with new iPhone video editing app - report
- Future iPhones might collect fingerprints, photos of thieves
- Apple Music Festival to feature Elton John, Alicia Keys, Chance the Rapper, others
Sunday, August 28, 2016
Saturday, August 27, 2016
Friday, August 26, 2016
Thursday, August 25, 2016