Google's Nest division updated its iOS app with several important features, most notably the ability to control its flagship Thermostat via the Apple Watch.
Friday, July 29, 2016
Streaming services CBS All Access and Showtime Anytime collectively have more than two million paid subscribers, CBS's chief executive boasted during his company's quarterly results conference call.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Mikey go over Apple's earnings for the third fiscal quarter of 2016, one billion iPhones, "iPhone 7" rumors, a shake-up at "Project Titan" and much more.
Thursday, July 28, 2016
Apple on Thursday launched a Spanish-language Twitter account for the App Store, looking to market iOS apps to a broader demographic.
In an update to its iMovie consumer level video editing software for iOS released on Thursday, Apple introduced a method of quickly creating projects from batch selected photos and video, as well as a new suite of content sharing options.
Apple is working on a new version of its Apple Store app for iOS that will provide customers with personalized product recommendations based on their purchase history, according to a report published Thursday.
Apple continues to leverage bond sales and low interest rates to fund both its stock buyback program and green initiatives, with an upcoming third sale this year to hit US debt capital markets.
Apple's head of Security Engineering and Architecture will go into "unprecedented technical detail" on iOS security during a talk at this year's Black Hat USA conference in Las Vegas, including new technology coming with iOS 10.
Apple authorized resellers are offering triple-digit discounts on iMac and MacBook configurations this week with free shipping and no tax in most states. Save up to $750 on iMacs or snap up a 13-inch MacBook Air for as low as $799. The 1.3GHz Early 2015 12-inch MacBook is also $999 this week.
Thursday, July 28, 2016
A patent filing made public today stems directly from the Apple purchase of biometric company AuthenTec, and could lead to future iPhones and iPads using part or all of the touchscreen to act a Touch ID sensor.
To flesh out the advanced software needed for a self-driving automobile, Apple has reportedly hired talent away from former high-profile rival and now-beleaguered BlackBerry and its QNX division.
In the U.S., sales of Bluetooth headphones overtook other kinds for the first time in June — with the market led by Apple's Beats division, according to NPD retail data published on Thursday.
Apple is preparing to launch another New York City store in the World Trade Center Transportation Hub, the company's head of marketing for New York stores revealed on Thursday.
Photos and a video of an adapter allegedly taken from a Foxconn factory in Vietnam surface, with the photographer claiming that the adapter will be included with this fall's iPhone update.
Apple has allegedly taken a hardline approach in negotiating with content owners for a potential $30-per-month streaming television service — a strategy that may have backfired on the company, a new report suggests.
With Apple rumored to be switching to OLED screens starting with the 2017 iPhone, research firm IHS believes that product's launch will serve as a game changer for OLED technology and mobile displays.
Apple's secondary manufacturer, Pegatron, is following in the footsteps of Foxconn and beginning to automate its factories — and cutting back on new hires as a result, according to the company's chairman.
Apple's Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller is bringing the better part of three decades of marketing experience to the board of directors of Illumina, the industry-leading DNA sequencing equipment company.
Shares of Apple audio parts supplier Cirrus Logic spiked in after-hours trading on Wednesday night as the company not only beat quarterly forecasts, but implied that it stands to benefit from Apple's "iPhone 7" and other smartphones ditching 3.5-millimeter headphone jacks in favor of USB and Bluetooth.
Apple has implemented the .xip file compression protocol with digital signatures for its newest Xcode 8 beta distribution, instead of the unsecured .zip format, guaranteeing that the contents have not changed since initial creation.
Following up on a report regarding the supposed launch date of Apple's next-generation iPhone, noted industry blogger Evan Blass on Wednesday said the company is looking to start preorders for the device on Friday, Sept. 9.
Wednesday, July 27, 2016
As iPhone sales show signs of stabilizing after a first every contraction earlier this year, Apple continues to incrementally increase spending on research and development in search of the next big thing.
Upthere, a new cloud service designed by former Apple engineers including former Mac software engineering chief Bertrand Serlet, has exited a seven month long beta program on iOS and macOS, and is promising to change how users utilize and think about cloud storage.
Apple CEO Tim Cook at an employee meeting on Wednesday said the company recently sold its one billionth iPhone, a watershed moment for the popular smartphone.
The new MoltenVK developer API aims to ease porting of games to Apple hardware, and its native support of Metal graphics, by by bringing the cross-platform Vulkan 3D graphics API to both iOS and macOS.
Google on Wednesday launched Family Library, a feature for the Google Play Store closely mirroring Apple's own Family Sharing for iTunes, iBooks, and the App Store — including some iOS support.
Starting Wednesday in some venues, Apple Maps will supplement existing data on parking with more information from the Parkopedia database, including pricing, real-time spot availability, and hours of operation of garages and parking lots.
Apple's 40.4 million iPhones shipped during the June quarter — a 15 percent decline year-over-year — were still enough to keep it in second place in the worldwide smartphone market, which reversed recent trends and grew "modestly," according to research firm Canalys.
Apple's June quarter earnings came in slightly higher than expected this week, propelling shares higher by more than 6 percent back over the $100 threshold. Analysts were generally pleased by Apple's results — here's a roundup of their responses, as collected by AppleInsider.
Microsoft on Wednesday released Pix, a new photo application that utilizes the company's machine learning skills with a computational photography implementation intended to improve the quality of photos shot on an iPhone 5s or newer.
Best known for its smartphones, China's Xiaomi on Wednesday revealed the Mi Notebook Air, its first laptop, apparently designed to take on Apple's MacBook and MacBook Air.
A new supply chain rumor suggests that Apple will bring USB Type-C ports from its 12-inch MacBook to another notebook in the lineup. The most likely candidate: the MacBook Pro. Here's why.
Apple's 4-inch iPhone SE is attracting switcher and new-user sales in an otherwise slow period between major iPhone releases, and supply of the sought-after model is just now catching up with demand, leaving room for future growth, according to Apple executives.
LG Display on Wednesday announced plans to spend 1.99 trillion won — about $1.75 billion — on a new flexible OLED production line, which could potentially help the company vie for Apple iPhone orders.
While Apple's growth, or lack thereof, in Greater China grabs headlines, work continues on a planned expansion into untapped markets like Mexico, where the company is poised to open its first retail store later this year.
Three of Australia's major banks on Wednesday filed a joint application with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to force Apple into negotiations over the installation of third-party mobile payments software on iPhone.
Tuesday, July 26, 2016
Apple CEO Tim Cook during a quarterly investor conference call on Tuesday said he expects his company's services sector, which continues to exhibit growth despite slumping iPhone sales, to generate revenues equivalent to that of a Fortune 100 company next year.
During Apple's quarterly conference call for the third fiscal quarter of 2016, Apple CEO Tim Cook confirmed investments into augmented reality solutions, saying the nascent platform holds "huge" potential.
During Apple's quarterly financial results call for the third fiscal quarter of 2016, CEO Tim Cook shed more light on Apple Pay's adoption and growth with purchasers and retailers.
- Apple's China revenue dives 33% amid iPhone sales slowdown
- More expensive iPad Pro helps boost Apple Q3 revenues despite lower unit sales
- Notes of interest from Apple's Q3 2016 conference call
- Apple's Q3 beats expectations with $42.4B in revenue, 40.4M iPhone sales
- No charges filed in alleged gun threat involving Apple's Dr. Dre
- Apple Music exclusive streaming venue for 'Carpool Karaoke' spinoff
- Home button on Apple's waterproof 'iPhone 7' won't click, will use haptic feedback instead - reports
- Adobe brings browsing-only version of Lightroom to Apple TV
- Supply chain expects 2nd-gen Apple Watch in September or October
- Microsoft Office 365 gains machine learning writing style assistant, research tool
- New guidelines may push Apple to switch away from SMS for two-factor authentication
- Runkeeper gets social with new Running Groups feature
- Apple wins patent on tech hinting at Apple Pencil use for Mac
- Apple Music streaming videos added to T-Mobile Binge On unlimited data
- Apple's December 2016 quarter could gain extra week, helping sales of next iPhone
- Chicago Apple Stores targeted in traveling fraud scheme
- New WebKit policies in iOS 10 to allow autoplay of silent videos in Safari, pause those with audio
- Apple Maps mass transit information for Vancouver, San Diego goes live [u]
- Redbox makes second go at online streaming, Google Maps gets 'Wi-Fi only' mode
- Twitter adds weekly MLB & NHL games to live sports coverage
- Rumor: New iPhones with secure iris scanners coming in 2018
- Pokemon Go launches in France and Hong Kong as Nintendo stock plummets
- Apple shakes up electric vehicle team, places Bob Mansfield in charge of 'Project Titan' - report
- Deals: 12" MacBook (1.3GHz, 8GB, 256GB) $999; $50-$100 off iPad Pros; up to 80% off back-to-school gadgets
- Apple leases 40,000 square feet for development accelerator in Bengaluru, India
- Verizon to buy struggling Yahoo for $4.83 billion
- Ford brings Apple CarPlay to rest of 2017 lineup through updates & new models
- Rumor: Apple's 2016 iPhone will be dubbed the 'iPhone 6SE'
- Apple's June quarter predicted to be 'neutral event' for stock price, 'good enough' for investors
- First photos of alleged 'iPad Pro 2' surface in China
- Apple hyping this week's opening of first-ever Brooklyn retail store
Monday, July 25, 2016
Sunday, July 24, 2016