Apple invited the press to an Oct. 27 media event, where the company is expected to showcase a new MacBook Pro with an OLED touch bar. That was hardly the end of this week's news, however, one juicy tidbit being a new course for Apple's electric car project.
Saturday, October 22, 2016
A distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack that on Friday severely impacted internet access for many U.S. web denizens was found to be in part enabled by a botnet targeting unprotected "Internet of Things" devices. For Apple, the revelation vindicates a controversial walled garden approach to IoT borne out through the HomeKit protocol.
Friday, October 21, 2016
As rumors fly over a potential tie-up between AT&T and Time Warner, a report on Friday claims Apple approached the media company about a potential merger months ago, though talks failed to progress past a preliminary stage.
China is now Apple's greatest source of revenue for the iOS App Store, after the country not only topped the U.S. in the third quarter but generated the highest-ever App Store revenue for any country.
With Apple's anticipated MacBook Pro and 13" MacBook Air refresh mere days away, now is the time to trade in your old device before values drop. Plus, earn a $20 cash bonus on top of industry leading trade-in values on electronics valued at $300 or more with an exclusive coupon code.
A series of denial of service attacks on a major DNS provider spanning all of Friday have caused major issues across the internet, with outages of some of the largest sites and services experienced across about half of the U.S. — and now the Department of Homeland Security is getting involved.
While AT&T and Time Warner were said to have previously held informal talks about a potential takeover, those discussions have apparently since turned serious, with a deal said to be now nearing completion.
Tesla has let slip some more information on its upcoming ridesharing program, which will eventually let the company's cars pick up fares while their owners stay at home or at work, cutting the cost of ownership.
In what is claimed to be the largest-ever transaction made with Apple Pay, a customer used their fingerprint to authorize the purchase of a 1964 Aston Martin DB5 priced at over $1 million.
Deals: $10 off unlocked 256GB iPhone 7; 20% off 13" MacBook Pro; $30-$110 off 9.7" iPad Pros; iOS 10 dev bundle for $45
Shoppers this week can snap up an unlocked 256GB iPhone 7 in Rose Gold and save $10. Or pick up a 13" MacBook Pro for $1,029.99. Apple's 9.7" iPad Pros are also up to $110 off, while an iOS 10 & Swift 3 Starter Bundle is now $45 (93% off).
Hints from its website suggest that Apple is on the verge of announcing Apple Pay for Germany, filling in one of several major gaps in its European coverage.
A dedicated Apple Watch gallery in the Galeries Lafayette shopping center in Paris is on the path to closure because of an Apple focus shift, and lack of sufficient sales to justify keeping it open, according to new reports.
The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus reportedly represented 43 percent of Apple's U.S. iPhone sales in the third quarter, even though they were only available for the last two weeks of the frame.
Analysts are starting to chime in on what they are expecting to see in Apple's forthcoming earnings report, with the latest prediction increasing both revenue and earnings per share significantly over earlier estimates.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Mike discuss the upcoming Apple Event, the latest MacBook Pro rumors, and IBM's push into schools with a Watson MobileFirst iOS app to individualize education.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on iMacs and MacBooks with AppleCare (up to $430 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to score the lowest prices anywhere on 27-inch iMac 5Ks, 15-inch MacBook Pros and remaining 2015 12-inch MacBooks bundled with AppleCare. Save up to $430 instantly with free shipping and no tax in most states.
Friday, October 21, 2016
Casetify is partnering with AppleInsider this week to give readers the chance to win an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus case in the design of their choosing. Fourteen winners will be announced on Oct. 25.
Continuing in a string of Apple retail thefts, a bold band of burglars earlier this week made off with 19 iPhones worth some $13,000 from a busy store in Natick, Mass., according to local reports.
Microsoft on Thursday announced earnings of $4.9 billion on revenues of $22.3 billion for the first fiscal quarter of 2017, a Wall Street beat helped along in part by a strong performance from the company's Surface line of convertible computers.
Thursday, October 20, 2016
After last year's DirecTV acquisition, telecommunications giant AT&T is looking to extend its reach into multimedia distribution, according to a report on Thursday that claims the company recently met with Time Warner to discuss a potential merger.
Apple this week added Spanish-language broadcaster Telemundo to a slowly growing list of services that offer support for universal search on fourth-generation Apple TV devices.
On Thursday Apple's senior VP of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, sat down for a three-way discussion at Vanity Fair's New Establishment Summit in San Francisco, where he spoke at length about the current state of TV and where Apple sees things going.
The Qualcomm modem used in some versions of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus performs markedly better than the Intel one, at least where signal might be poor, according to research published on Thursday.
The 2016 edition of the 12-inch MacBook with Retina display has an apparent screen flickering issue when used with Apple's official USB-C to HDMI adapter, numerous users have reported.
Deep dives into the "iOS Simulator" embedded in Xcode has found code for a one-handed keyboard implementation dating back to iOS 8 that remains unfinished, and unimplemented by Apple.
Business conflicts between Apple Music and Tidal are have been blocking some potentially popular projects from happening, rapper Kanye West claimed in surprise comments during a Seattle concert on Wednesday.
Alongside mobile ambitions with iOS, Nintendo's new console called the "Nintendo Switch" has debuted, and a promotional video shows a Tegra-powered game console able to be hooked up to a television in a dock, with controller connectors that when connected strongly resemble the older GameVice iPad and iPhone peripheral.
In terms of customer satisfaction Apple is the most popular smartphone brand among U.S. carrier subscribers, according to two new J.D. Power studies, though that position isn't absolute.
Google has forged a deal to carry CBS channels on its upcoming live TV streaming service, YouTube Unplugged, a report claimed on Thursday.
The color-splashed invite sent out to the press on Wednesday for the forthcoming Oct. 27 Apple release event uses language that Apple has used before in two other groundbreaking product debuts.
One of the key changes to next week's anticipated MacBook Pro refresh is believed to be a new touch-sensitive OLED screen replacing the function row of keys on the keyboard. Trademark filings by Apple reveal the possible names the company could use to brand it.
An Apple invention detailed in a patent application published Thursday describes a method of decoupling a keyboard's mechanical feel from its electrical functionality using proximity sensors, which allows greater customize key feedback.
Shoppers this week can pick up a 13" MacBook Pro (2.9GHz, 8GB, 512GB) for $1,470 on eBay. Or save $100 on a 128GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi) in Space Gray. Verizon Wireless is also taking up to $200 off iPhones and throwing in free overnight shipping.
Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Ahead of an official debut scheduled to arrive with iOS 10.1 later this month, Apple on Wednesday activated the Apple Maps Transit feature for major metropolitan areas in Japan, including Tokyo and Osaka.
Though Apple has long sworn off trade shows, a 2017 exhibitor listing for "Apple, Inc." that popped up on — and was just as quickly pulled from — the official Mobile World Congress website on Wednesday suggests the company might make a showing at the expo in February.
On Wednesday, Apple and IBM announced the latest fruit of their MobileFirst enterprise collaboration, IBM Watson Element for Educators, in fact representing their first joint app in the education arena.
Apple on Wednesday issued invitations to members of the press for an event at its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters on Oct. 27, where it is expected to unveil a thinner MacBook Pro with OLED touch bar and reversible USB-C ports.
LEGO, founded in 1932, has modernized its IT infrastructure by integrating Mac and iOS devices into its corporate environment using Jamf's Apple device management solution.
In what may be turning out to be a busy week for Apple, the company is inviting attendees at the annual Final Cut Pro X user's conference to visit the its corporate headquarters next door, just as it is expected to unveil a new MacBook Pro design with dynamic OLED touch bar.
- Apple claims huge swaths of 'genuine' accessories on Amazon are counterfeit in new lawsuit [u]
- Apple TV, iPad utilized in conjunction for patient care at new San Diego hospital
- Apple issues fifth betas of iOS 10.1 with iPhone 7 Plus Portrait photos, macOS 10.12.1
- Facebook updates iOS app with food & ticket purchases, new Recommendations system & more
- IBM deploying 1,300 Macs per week, Apple users need much less support than PC counterparts
- Apple stops signing iOS 9.3.5, halting any downgrades from iOS 10
- Apple partners with home builders to accelerate HomeKit use
- Rumors of Apple team-up with e-ink keyboard maker appear to spring from single, questionable source
- Apple executives awarded stock bonus worth up to $25M
- Apple Pay to reportedly go live in Japan on Oct. 25, hints at iOS 10.1 release
- Amazon Channels may beat Apple to offering cable-like experience
- Apple to debut new Macs at Oct. 27 event, report says
- Patriots head coach punting Microsoft Surface from sidelines, going back to binders
- Apple Pay picks up 24 more US banks & credit unions plus British Airways bookings
- Researchers expect 74 million iPhone sales in Q4 2016 on strength of new releases
- No native Spotify app for Apple TV 'any time soon,' company says
- Apple Pay on the Web payments added to QuickBooks Online service
- Samsung sets up Note 7 exchange booths at airports around the world
- Tim Cook included in early list of potential VP candidates for Clinton campaign
- Supply chain reaffirms only three new Apple notebooks this fall, likely no 11" MacBook Air
- Misfit launches Phase Hybrid smartwatch, with some Apple Watch-like connectivity
- Angela Ahrendts interview addresses Apple retail refurb, town square concept successes
- Deal: Grab Apple's 15" MacBook Pro (2.2GHz, 16GB, 512GB) for $2,133 with exclusive coupon savings
- More reports circulate suggesting a late-October MacBook Pro, MacBook Air refresh
- Apple App Store compensation changes coming to South Africa, New Zealand
- Apple's Beats 1 head DJ Zane Lowe giving music keynote at 2017 SXSW
- EPGL working on iPhone apps compatible with 'smart' contact lenses for AR
- AT&T adds iPhone screen repair service for monthly insurance plan subscribers
- Apple issues fourth public & developer betas of iOS 10.1 with Portrait photos for iPhone 7 Plus
- Apple sets iPhone 7 launch dates for Egypt, Colombia & several other countries
- Apple hires Carnegie Mellon AI researcher to work on its own AI tech
- Apple employee labor law violation class action suit starts Tuesday in CA
- Apple working to fix call-directory extensions in upcoming iOS 10.1 update
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.3, fixing Verizon LTE issues on iPhone 7 & 7 Plus
- Apple moves $9B worth of iTunes intellectual property to Ireland
- Apple's Beats debuts celebrity-laden ad promoting new wireless headphones
- Ecobee3 Lite cuts smart thermostat's price while keeping Apple HomeKit support
- 'Apple Car' project to choose new direction in late 2017 - report
- Apple's new Japan R&D center to build 'very different' artificial intelligence tech, Tim Cook says
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Monday, October 17, 2016