A U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Friday reveals Apple board member Al Gore this week sold 215,437 shares of AAPL stock worth about $29.5 million.
Friday, February 24, 2017
Shares of Apple are collectively worth $713.96 billion as of today's market close, while the market cap of Alphabet Inc (which includes Google) closed today at $579.15 billion, a difference of $134.81 billion. However, Google's search results still point to year-old stories touting Google briefly surpassing Apple in market cap twice last spring.
In an apparent policy shift, Apple recently notified store technicians that third-party iPhone screen repairs no longer void the handset's standard warranty as long as the unauthorized fix does not damage the casing or other related components.
Two major automakers, Jeep and Porsche, this week announced early details on new vehicles supporting Apple's CarPlay — the latter company offering the platform on an unusually large 12.3-inch touchscreen.
If you've subscribed to a service such as Netflix or Spotify through the App Store, and are now looking to terminate your subscription, it takes just a few simple steps to cancel. AppleInsider shows you how.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: 13" MacBook Pro for $1,329; 15" MacBook Pro (Apple refurb) for $1,399; 2TB G-Drive Pro $239
This week, AI readers can save $170 on a 13" MacBook Pro with function keys in Space Gray at B&H with no tax collected outside NY and NJ. Apple refurbished 15" MacBook Pros are also $1,399 with no tax outside NY, and a 2TB G-Drive Pro with Thunderbolt is $160 off. BeatsX headphones are now in stock with no tax outside NY and NJ as well.
To combat Microsoft and Google, Amazon appears to be in the early stages of developing its own office suite, utilizing the power and ubiquity of its AWS platform to support it.
While examining Reverb, AppleInsider determines Alexa in name only is no Alexa at all. The new app aims to bring Amazon's personal assistant to the Mac, but in our tests it fell short.
Content delivery network Cloudflare has suffered a serious, months-long breach of user data, including content from thousands of websites and iOS apps Uber, Fitbit, Yelp, and OKCupid, according to reports.
Apple CEO Tim Cook took to Twitter on Friday to mark what would've been the 62nd birthday of his predecessor, company co-founder Steve Jobs.
Apple's main mobile processor manufacturer, TSMC, is reportedly set to begin commercial shipments of 10-nanometer chips in the next month — likely supporting claims that the "A11" processors in upcoming iPhones will use the technology.
FeatureAppleInsider podcast talks 'iPhone 8' rumors, a rumored iPad event, and which W1 headphones to get
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about the 'iPhone 8', the iPad event coming up, AirPods vs Powerbeats3, and more.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Apple is investigating the circumstances behind a widely circulated video showing a partially melted, smoking iPhone 7 Plus, the result of what appears to be a major device malfunction, reports said late Thursday.
A questionable report out of East Asia on Friday claims Apple is taking longer than expected to bring two large format iPads to market — a 12.9-inch iPad Pro revamp and a new 10.5-inch version — with both models now said to launch in May at the earliest.
Thursday, February 23, 2017
While there appears to be no breach of Apple's security, the company terminated its relationship with hardware vendor SuperMicro because of concerns about firmware update security, and an update that potentially compromised a Siri server bank, plus the App Store's search server development environment. [Updated]
Apple on Thursday revealed an iOS point update that was released a month ago includes a bug fix for an issue causing iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus and 6s Plus device owners to experience unexpected shutdowns.
Alphabet's Waymo on Thursday sued Uber and its subsidiary Otto, accusing the companies of stealing key self-driving car patents covering a proprietary light detection and ranging, or LiDAR, system.
Apple on Thursday updated its iTunes Remote app for iPhones and iPads with support for two-factor authentication, reflecting the company's growing use of the security concept.
Cellebrite — the firm thought to be responsible for helping the FBI extract data from the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook — is doing "lawful unlocking and evidence extraction" from Apple devices through the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, according to the company's Forensics Research director.
Documents unearthed from early Apple history show shift in company focus from hobbyists to businesses
A series of documents discovered at a thrift store in Seattle examines Apple's mindset in the late '70s and early '80s as it shifted from a hobbyist company to one interested in gathering, and retaining business clients for its Apple II series of computers.
Apple's Seattle offices — dedicated partly to work in artificial intelligence and machine learning — are set to expand both literally and in terms of workforce, a report revealed on Thursday.
Samsung is reportedly developing a version of its upcoming "Galaxy S8" that will compete in some respects not just with Apple's iPhone 7 Plus, but also eye-scanning technology only expected in iPhones shipping later this year.
Audio vendor Harman has unveiled a new wireless CarPlay solution for car manufacturers, with the technology first hitting the market as manufacturer-installed gear in the BMW 5 Series Sedan.
Apple's slow expansion plans for the Latin American smartphone market could take its next step sometime next year, with a report claiming the first official Apple store in Argentina could open its doors and commence sales in 2018.
If you own an iPad, iPhone, iPod or Mac, your Apple ID is the gateway to accessing the App Store, iCloud and iTunes, making it a crucial part of your digital identity. If you ever need to change the email address associated with your Apple ID, AppleInsider shows you how.
Looking to challenge its main competitor in ridesharing, Uber, Lyft on Thursday expanded to 54 more U.S. cities, spanning states like Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Iowa.
A new report highlights Apple's involvement with wireless charging protocol specification Qi's organizing body, and claims that Apple's iPhone moves are driven more by marketing needs than by any particular drive for innovation in new products.
Fitbit's $23M Pebble purchase lower than expected, under financial pressure from Apple Watch success
Fitbit has confirmed it paid $23 million for smartwatch maker Pebble, far below the expected value of the deal when it was announced in early December, amidst both companies' struggles against the Apple Watch.
Possibly reversing recent trends in law enforcement, a U.S. federal court in Illinois has ruled that warrants can't be used to demand broad fingerprint unlocks for all of the devices in a building, such as Apple iPhones.
Apple is rumored to replace iPhone's Touch ID home button with alternative bio-recognition hardware when it launches an OLED version of the handset later this year, but the technology enabling that transition is so far an unknown. A patent application published Thursday, however, indicates where the company's research is headed.
Apple on Wednesday issued a statement in response to President Donald Trump's recent withdrawal of federal protections for transgender students, condemning the action as an effort that sets back human rights initiatives.
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
People truly wanting to cut the cord now have three major internet TV services to choose from: Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, and DirecTV Now. All of them support iOS devices and the Apple TV, among other platforms — which one if any should you consider subscribing to?
Although AirPods are still out of stock, those who waited to purchase Apple's first wireless earphones now have additional color options — 58 to be exact — to choose from thanks to aftermarket customization firm ColorWare.
Adding to Wednesday's Apple Park news, a new report claims CEO Tim Cook plans to move his office to the company's futuristic campus later this year, likely when other employees begin the migration from Infinite Loop in April.
As third-party developers slowly incorporate support for Apple's new MacBook Pro Touch Bar, Google on Wednesday integrated assets for the OLED control strip in the latest version of its Chrome Canary experimental web browser.
Facebook's Instagram on Wednesday announced support for uploading up to 10 photos and videos in a single post, potentially radically changing how people use the social network.
For some heavy Apple Watch users constantly checking their wrists, Apple's wearable device may not quite provide the 18-hour battery life the company advertises. For Apple Watch addicts, AppleInsider offers a handful of simple things you can do to squeeze some extra time out of your battery.
Via an update, Strava's signature fitness app now makes use of the GPS on the Apple Watch Series 2 — allowing activity tracking without carrying an iPhone along, the developer has announced.
- Swift-based ransomware targets macOS pirates with false decryption promise
- Apple Watch & ResearchKit epilepsy study concludes, gleans insight on seizure triggers
- iOS 10 now installed on 79% of Apple's mobile devices
- Santander among more than 40 banks, credit unions added in latest US Apple Pay expansion
- Apple confirms existence of Cambridge Siri R&D lab with new office sign
- Foxconn workers depart company, rather than shift to non-iPhone assembly — report
- Apple, Foxconn & TSMC consider swooping in on Toshiba's flash memory business
- Apple Park's campus auditorium named 'Steve Jobs Theater,' opens later in year
- Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2 to officially be known as Apple Park, 175-acre HQ to open in April
- What's the status on LG's UltraFine 5K monitor?
- Apple stock closes at new high of $136.70 as market cap inches toward $720 billion
- Apple airs regional AirPods ads featuring UK musicians
- Apple buys iCloud.net domain, shuts down associated Asian social network
- Apple could ditch Qualcomm for new Gbps Intel XMM 7650 modem in iPhone 8
- Review: Jaybird's X3 Bluetooth earbuds are a great choice for pumping iron
- The average US iPhone owner spent $40 in App Store purchases during 2016
- Apple updates Logic Pro X with minor improvements, fixes for erratic region behavior
- Samsung reportedly plans to refurbish, resell Note 7 in emerging markets
- Third public betas of iOS 10.3, macOS 10.12.4 arrive from Apple
- Verizon agrees to buy core of Yahoo for reduced $4.48B price tag following hacks
- As legal spat with Apple continues, Qualcomm teases ultra-fast 1.2Gbps LTE mobile chips
- Apple plans $51M expansion of Reno iCloud data center, codenamed 'Project Isabel'
- News agencies ask court to force FBI to reveal cost, source of San Bernardino iPhone hack
- Apple rumored to eliminate 32GB tier with 'iPhone 8,' with capacity starting at 64GB
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' may not use curved OLED due to production problems
- Apple seen switching to glass-film touch tech this year for Apple Watch Series 3
- Wireless charging likely coming to Apple's 'iPhone 8,' but not Energous's long-range solution
- 'iPhone 8' to include game changing 3D facial recognition tech in FaceTime camera
- Editorial: Uncertainties of a dysfunctional American government likely to hurt Apple's performance
- Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro out of stock as refresh looms
- Apple shares four new 'One Night' ads focusing on iPhone 7 low-light photography [u]
- Apple updates German and Italian Apple Pay support pages ahead of rumored launch
- Apple files 14-point appeal against European Commission's $14 billion tax edict
- How to disable word predictions on the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
- macOS Sierra 10.12.4 third developer's beta now available
- As Apple explores truly wireless iPhone charging, Disney Research demos cord-free room concept
- Apple unlikely to develop an Echo-like standalone Siri speaker - report
- Apple releases third beta of iOS 10.3 with 'Find my AirPods,' tvOS 10.2, watchOS 3.2 for developers
- Irish government spent $467,000 on report defending Apple's tax arrangements
- Apple Deals: 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro for $1,649; 15" MacBook Pro (Apple refurb) for $1,399; $180 off 32GB 9.7" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + LTE)
- Snapchat begins online sales of iPhone-connected Spectacles
- Apple places 5th on corporate reputation poll, Samsung drops 42 spots
- Rumor: Apple to launch 'iPad Pro 2,' red iPhone 7, 128GB iPhone SE at March event
- Apple-issued developer certificate expires, causing crashes in 1Password and other apps
- Apple changes up ad strategy to focus on digital and regional campaigns
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Monday, February 20, 2017