It appears Oracle is bringing its adware wiles to OS X with the latest version of Java for Mac, as the installer comes bundled with the Ask.com toolbar, which is deceptively set to install itself by default.
Thursday, March 05, 2015
Apple reportedly granted developers from big-name companies monitored access to Apple Watch at its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., in hopes of building out a solid initial app offering when the device launches in April.
Apple Pay fraud stems from retailer data breaches, Apple Store purchases account for 80% of unauthorized buys
According to a report on Thursday, fraudsters are using credit card information gleaned from recent high-profile retail chain data to create Apple Pay accounts, while Apple Stores themselves account for 80 percent of unauthorized transactions.
A report on Thursday claims the upcoming Apple Watch boasts a mysterious data connection port, previously undisclosed by Apple, that is currently being used for diagnostics and testing.
A number of mobile executives who attended this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona are already projecting that the Apple Watch will dominate the smartwatch market when it launches in April, much as the iPad currently controls the tablet industry.
According to a report on Thursday, Apple's iAd division is looking to reinvigorate sales, and will soon allow third-party agencies to provide demographic targeting information to advertisers, including matching of phone numbers, emails and other data.
Sources in Apple's supply chain are particularly bullish about iPhone sales to start 2015, leading investment firm Barclays Capital to say that its forecast of 54 million units for the current quarter is a "conservative" estimate.
Several important updates have been released at the iOS App Store, bringing share sheet functions to Gmail, a Saved Places tab to Foursquare, and a complete redesign of Imgur's official iPhone app.
Apple on Thursday notified customers who have previously purchased its Aperture photography software that the application will soon be removed from the Mac App Store, and invited those users to try the new Photos app as part of the OS X 10.10.3 public beta.
Disney's new theme park-connected "Show Your Disney Side" app for iPhone lets users shoot a selfie and merge it with a famous character from one of the company's movies or attractions, such as Frozen, Star Tours, Pirates of the Caribbean, or the Haunted Mansion.
People wanting to buy an Apple Watch may be able to ask for a custom engraving, much as the company has allowed with products like the iPad and iPod before it, although the option may not be available in time for the product's launch.
Half a decade after Microsoft's last major update to Office for Mac, the venerable productivity suite returns anew with a Retina redesign, a modern codebase, and a host of new features — and it's available today as a public preview. AppleInsider was given early access to the new apps and brings you a close-up view of Redmond's latest.
The release of iOS 8.2 remains imminent, and could debut as soon as Apple's "Spring Forward" event next Monday, bringing a number of improvements to the iPhone's health app, along with the usual stability improvements and bug fixes.
Thursday, March 05, 2015
Apple's upcoming 12.9-inch iPad — commonly referred to as the "iPad Pro" — will make use of an oxide LCD, most popularly known as Sharp's IGZO display technology, a new report from the company's supply chain claims.
If Apple is in fact building an electric vehicle, German automotive company Continental hopes it will have a chance to partner on the final product, the company's CEO publicly said.
Recent negotiations between Apple and BMW weren't connected to developing a car, a BMW spokesman has said, citing discussions between the two parties as part of "regular talks."
A U.S. patent application published on Thursday reveals Apple is actively researching ways to make its products resistant to moisture, a feature sometimes attributed to "active" smartphone models marketed by competing smartphone manufacturers.
While rumors surrounding Apple's purported 12-inch MacBook Air have died down amid Apple Watch hype, a new report on Wednesday claims partner manufacturers have already started mass production of the device in preparation of a second quarter launch.
Following reports that claimed Apple was forced to push back its production timeline for a larger 12.9-inch iPad, new rumors suggest the company is looking to incorporate USB 3.0 connectivity and possibly ports for keyboards and a mouse.
Apple has singled out Greater China—including mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan—as a primary growth center. AppleInsider took a trip to learn more, starting with a week exploring Taiwan.
Wednesday, March 04, 2015
Apple's litigious crusade against Samsung trundled along in U.S. appellate court on Wednesday, but judges were skeptical of an argument claiming continued patent infringement by Samsung is causing Apple irreparable harm.
A report on Wednesday claims Apple has pushed back plans to start mass production of a 12.9-inch iPad model due to poor display yields, and will move forward with a revised ramp up cycle set to start in September.
Apple is in negotiations to make the Apple TV a launch destination for HBO's standalone streaming service reportedly called "HBO Now," which could launch in time for the fifth season of Game of Thrones premiering April 12, according to a new report.
Apple, Google and other parties accused of being involved in an illegal "no-poach" employee policy may be on the verge of settling the class-action complaint, after the judge overseeing the lawsuit has given initial approval for their proposed $415 million settlement.
As is its wont, Apple will greet attendees at its first event of 2015 with a customized graphic wrapping around the Yerba Buena Center, a process which began in earnest on Wednesday.
Apple has reversed course on some recent changes at the iTunes Store in order to make the shop more palatable to independent record labels, which voiced concerns that new algorithms would promote mainstream musicians at the expense of lesser-known acts.
Screenshots that surfaced Wednesday on a Chinese web forum purport to show details of a forthcoming MacBook Air refresh that would bring Intel's latest Broadwell chips to Apple's ultraportable, though there is some question as to the shots' validity.
The latest major company to step into the crowded set-top box market, where the Apple TV competes, is Nvidia, whose upcoming Shield media player will be powered by Google's Android TV platform.
- 'iPhone 6s' said to ship with 2GB of RAM, Apple leaning toward including Apple SIM
- Apple reclaims top spot in movie product placement rankings
- Uber's first-ever public acquisition, maps firm deCarta, will lessen reliance on Apple, Google
- Apple Watch publicity tour comes to Chinese fashion magazine YOHO
- Google reportedly looking to bring Android Wear support to iOS
- Website builds interactive Apple Watch app previews with help from developers
- Apple discussing settlement with battery maker over alleged employee poaching
- Apple Watch wins prestigious iF Design Gold Award ahead of public debut
- Credit unions lead new round of 18 Apple Pay additions
- AT&T to ship LTE-enabled Modio iPad mini case on March 20
- New SSL/TLS flaw leaves Safari vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attack, Apple promises fix
- BitTorrent Sync gains new look, Mint for iOS picks up bill reminders, Sonos adds simpler Room access
- Aerial footage shows off temporary building at site of Apple's March 9 event, likely Apple Watch demo area
- Apple to move away from security contractors, hire guards as full-time employees
- SXSW festival to use more than 1,000 Apple iBeacons for location-based alerts, meetups
- Costly supercar maker Koenigsegg joins list of Apple CarPlay backers
- Automakers in Geneva cautious, 'concerned' about 'disruptive interloper' Apple
- Billions in Google revenue could ride on Apple renewing iOS search deal
- Smartphone shipments topped 1.2 billion in 2014, Samsung's share plummeted in face of Apple gains
- Pebble unveils steel version of color Time watch, announces 'smartstrap' accessory support
- Apple's 'Shot on iPhone 6' campaign goes global with billboards, ad spaces
- Piper Jaffray pegs stainless steel Apple Watch price at $499, Edition at $4,999
- Apple, Google no-poach settlement reportedly on road to approval
- Upcoming Steve Jobs biography dives deep into Apple cofounder's life, features interviews with Tim Cook, Jony Ive, more
- Nissan, Daimler CEOs split on prospect of rumored Apple Car
- Google postpones iOS 8-style full-disk encryption of Android devices
- Apple Watch carried codename 'Gizmo,' former Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch spearheaded software
- CarPlay, not an Apple Car, likely catalyst of Swiss trademark filing
- Banks 'scrambling' to combat Apple Pay identity fraud - report
- Apple releases public beta of OS X 10.10.3, gives the masses a first taste of new Photos app
- Race to beat Apple Pay picks up, as PayPal buys CurrentC-linked Paydiant
- Apple, IBM debut three new iOS apps for enterprise
- Killer Deal: Free LG optical drive, Free Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Pro headphones, and up to $350 off all BTO MacBook Pros with AppleCare
- Morgan Stanley raises Apple target to $160, citing strength as a 'platform company'
- Google unveils 'Android Pay' mobile payments API to rival Apple Pay
- Google to launch own 'Nexus'-like carrier network to push innovations in wireless
- Tim Cook discusses Steve Jobs, personal privacy, and Apple's role as a social leader
- Variety of Apple Watch stylings for men spotlighted in Hong Kong fashion magazine spread
- Apple supplier NXP to merge with rival Freescale Semiconductor in $11.8B deal
- Apple's next Chinese Apple Store to open in Chongqing on March 7
- Apple Watch featured in UK's Style magazine, Space Gray Sport version quoted at $349
- Samsung responds to iPhone 6 with premium metal & glass Galaxy S6, counters Apple Pay with Samsung Pay
- Apple Watch to reportedly offer 'Power Reserve' to help extend battery life
Tuesday, March 03, 2015
Monday, March 02, 2015
Sunday, March 01, 2015