Apple Watch comes with a number of watch face options — from digital themes to analog lookalikes and beyond — many of which can be further customized with sub-features called complications.
Saturday, April 25, 2015
Apple launched its first wearable with an App Store filled with more than 3,000 third-party titles, a figure expected to grow exponentially in the months ahead. AppleInsider offers a look at some of the first offerings.
Friday, April 24, 2015
British Vogue on Friday posted full video footage of a recent interview that had editor Suzy Menkes talking with Apple design gurus Jony Ive and Marc Newson about Apple Watch and its place in the luxury market.
With Apple Watch, Apple was presented an opportunity to reimagine and improve upon the ways in which a user interacts with ultra-small format devices. It delivered in spades with Force Touch, haptic feedback, a custom UI and a keystone tactile technology called the Digital Crown.
In tandem with Friday's launch of the Apple Watch, Apple updated its website with details on the battery life of the device, and simultaneously updated its online store to make shopping for Watch bands easier to navigate.
Following Friday's Apple Watch teardown, the experts at Chipworks posted a close-up look at the parts that make it tick, including X-ray imagery of Apple's new S1 system-on-chip design.
With newly-delivered Apple Watch units now on the wrists of the lucky, users will undoubtedly be looking to try out the best launch-day apps for their latest purchase. AppleInsider offers a roundup of some prominent and essential launch-day apps, divided by category.
Early adopters of the Apple Watch can receive alerts fir breaking Apple news and browse the latest headlines thanks to the official AppleInsider app, which includes support for the new wrist-worn device.
Deals: $144 off 12" MacBooks with AppleCare; 27" Dell Ultra HD 4K display for $499.99; 64GB iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G LTE for $409; more...
Exclusive: This week AI readers can: save $144 on 12" MacBook with AppleCare pre-orders, grab a 27" Dell Ultra HD 4K display for under $500, pick up a 64GB iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G LTE for $409, secure a 13" MacBook Pro with 256GB of storage for $1,249 and get the lowest price anywhere on all current 2015 MacBook Pros with exclusive coupons.
Friday, April 24, 2015
Once you get your Apple Watch out of the box, the first thing you'll need to do is pair it with an iPhone to start using its features. AppleInsider offers a closer look at exactly how the pairing process works.
Apple's mid-range stainless steel Apple Watch not only has a more premium enclosure than the aluminum Sport version, but it also comes in different packaging, and features a steel magnetic charger rather than plastic.
Apple has won a decisive victory in a long-running intellectual property fight over Siri in China, as the Beijing Higher People's Court has decided that the company's personal digital assistant does not infringe on patents held by Shanghai-based Zhizhen Network Technology.
An unknown person has inserted an Easter egg image into Google Maps, depicting the mascot for the Android operating system urinating on an Apple logo, and is now gaining attention across the Internet.
As the first wave of Apple Watch deliveries hits doorsteps around the world, some consumers have begun to put Apple's durability claims to the test — including the Watch's IPX7 water resistance rating — and found the devices more resilient than previously believed.
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available with detailed analysis of this week's news, including Apple Watch shipment notifications, our review of the 12-inch MacBook with Retina display, new iPod touch rumors, leaked video of Angela Ahrendts explaining the Watch retail strategy, and more.
Americans receiving their Apple Watch on Friday are being emailed an invitation to schedule an online Personal Setup session, guiding them through setting up and using the device without having to visit an Apple Store.
Apple has turned its penchant for slimness to the famously brick-like U.K. power plug, replacing its old fixed-pins model with an all-new version featuring folding pins and a more rounded design.
The inductive charging capabilities of the Apple Watch are based on the established Qi open standard, as shown by the fact that the Apple Watch charger works with the competing Moto 360 smartwatch.
Commemorating the launch of the Apple Watch on Friday, Apple launched three new ads showcasing how the device can be useful in normal daily life situations.
Apple is introducing its new Watch across a limited number countries today, but only a few stores will have the device available for sale. Among that short list is Colette, a fashion boutique just a few blocks from Apple's own retail store at Carrousel, beneath the Louvre.
Days after apparent supply constraints slowed ship times for certain Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro models to 1-2 weeks, the Online Apple Store on Friday extended those estimates to 2-3 weeks.
References to a heretofore unknown "iTunes Subscription" service showed up in the iTunes desktop client on Friday, potentially revealing a few details of a rumored Apple-branded streaming music solution said to launch sometime this year.
Thursday, April 23, 2015
Just hours after Apple Watch first reached early-bird buyers in Australia, a device teardown hit the Web revealing a litany of miniature parts and an unannounced data port thought to be used for diagnostics work.
Prospective Apple Watch buyers are queuing up outside high-end fashion outlets scheduled carry the device on launch day, an odd scene for those accustomed to seeing those same lines at Apple's own stores for a big product debut.
First Apple Watch deliveries received in Australia, developers selected for expedited shipping program
It's just after 9 a.m. in Australia and that means the first wave of Apple Watch orders are reaching customers' hands, marking an official rollout of the first product developed entirely under Apple CEO Tim Cook.
Apple on Thursday rolled out an update for its iMovie video editing app for OS X, fixing an issue that could cause the program to crash and baking in enhanced YouTube sharing compatibility.
Apple on Thursday released a pair of small but important software updates, one dealing with iMac kernel panics triggered when previewing JPEG files and another adding WatchKit compatibility to TestFlight's iOS beta-testing platform.
Ahead of Apple Watch, Microsoft beefs up its Band with new cycling trackers, blood oxygen calculator
With the Apple Watch set to launch in a matter of hours, Microsoft this week announced new capabilities for its own wearable device, including support for new cycling apps, as well as the ability to measure cardiovascular fitness through blood oxygen levels.
Facing scrutiny from the U.S. government, Comcast will apparently drop its plans to acquire competing cable operator Time Warner Cable, it was revealed on Thursday.
In preparation for the launch of the Apple Watch on Friday, Apple on Thursday launched the Watch App Store, as well as an online User Guide for people learning to navigate the device.
Apple's App Store review policies have found yet another unwanted spotlight after the company allegedly rejected an iOS app update because its developer mentioned Pebble's competing smartwatch in the app's metadata.
The Apple Watch is using "most" of iOS 8.2, with a new subsystem called "Carousel" in place of the Springboard homescreen found on iPhones and iPads, developer Steve Troughton-Smith said on Thursday, also suggesting that the Watch's S1 processor appears to be equivalent to the Apple A5.
Activity tracker maker Misfit on Thursday announced a new workout app for the Apple Watch, Misfit Minute, while Algoriddim revealed a Watch app of its own — enabling basic mixing functions for djay 2 — and updated djay Pro for the Mac with live video support.
Randy Ubillos, the creator of both Apple's Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premier, announced on Thursday that he is leaving Apple after more than two decades with the Mac maker.
Apple on Wednesday and Thursday opened up several job listings related to speech technology, Siri, and language recognition, suggesting intensified work on natural input for future products, AppleInsider has discovered.
Though the iPod lineup has not seen any significant changes since late 2012, Apple will revisit its media players this year with an anticipated update to at least one model, a source has told AppleInsider.
Despite a recent proliferation of high-profile antitrust allegations brought against American technology companies by the European Commission, the Old Continent's top legislative body has sought to reassure U.S. firms that they are not being singled out.
Apple invention uses vibrations and temperature to simulate different materials on touchscreens, trackpads
An Apple patent application published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday details an advanced haptic feedback system that simulates the feeling of different textures on a device display, such as wood and metal, using localized vibrations and temperature changes.
Apple on Thursday sent out a mass email notifying Apple Watch preorder customers slated to get the first batch of launch units that their orders are being processed.
- Apple being wooed by Nokia for $3.2B HERE mapping acquisition, report says
- Apple to reportedly offer Apple Watch band exchanges as alternative to full returns
- Pharrell performs at Apple campus in celebration of Earth Day, dons Apple Watch onstage
- Apple publishes Apple Watch Guided Tours for Apple Pay, Activity and Workout [updated with video]
- Select boutique outlets to have Apple Watch stock for sale on April 24
- Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro shipment estimates fluctuate, drop to 1-2 weeks ahead of WWDC
- Apple confirms some Apple Watch orders shipping out earlier than estimated
- Longtime Apple PR director Natalie Kerris announces retirement
- Apple ranks among top 50 'green' brands in 2015 survey of US shoppers
- Google announces 'Project Fi' mobile phone network for Nexus 6 owners
- Apple celebrates Earth Day with green retail store logos, App Store promos
- New tool offers glimpse at Apple Watch screenshots before April 24 launch
- Samsung's Galaxy S6, S6 Edge receive tepid interest in native South Korea
- Apple designers Ive, Newson talk Apple Watch at Conde Nast International Luxury Conference
- Apple 'unlikely' to launch new 4-inch iPhone model this year, insider says
- Researchers leverage SSL bug to crash Apple devices over Wi-Fi in 'No iOS Zone' attack
- Apple's Safari claims 55% of US mobile browser usage, 10.5% desktop share
- Second wave of online-only Apple Watch preorders rumored to start in Italy, other countries May 8
- Apple's lobbying costs grew to $1.24M in Q1, still lag well behind rivals
- Apple details fix for 12" MacBook Setup Assistant issues
- Apple Watch Sport's Ion-X glass reportedly endures scratch test in new video
- Apple updates several optional iOS apps, adds Watch remote support to Keynote
- Apple retail chief Ahrendts addresses Apple Watch, 12" MacBook availability issues in internal video
- ARM earnings grow 22 percent on royalties from newer smartphones like iPhone 6
- Apple enlists premium resellers for Apple Watch distribution in China
- Apple job listing confirms plans to bring public transit info to its Maps service
- Apple offers limited number of developers expedited Apple Watch shipping
- Apple releases Xcode 6.3.1, fixing 'critical issues' related to debugging and more
- If you want Beats Music on your Mac, skip the Web client and install the Beats Android app
- First look: Adobe Lightroom CC with HDR and panoramic photo merging, facial recognition, more
- PowerPoint & TripIt update with Apple Watch functions, Excel for iPhone gets comments
- Some 1,500 iOS apps exposed to serious HTTPS vulnerability, analytics firm says
- Review: Apple's all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display
- Apple patents Apple Watch Sport Band, Classic Buckle and Link Bracelet designs
- Beyonce seen sporting Apple Watch Edition with gold link bracelet
- Apple starts charging Apple Watch orders, preparing units for shipping
- Google to discontinue YouTube support on older iOS devices, Apple TVs
- TuneIn, Shazam, RunKeeper among latest apps ready for Apple Watch launch
- American broadcasters turn up the volume on misguided campaign to enable FM tuners in smartphones
- Manhattan district attorney grabs attention saying iPhone will become 'device of choice' for terrorists
- US Department of Justice expected to block Comcast-Time Warner merger
- Apple's 2015 Enviromental Responsibility Report shows larger carbon footprint
- Apple triples retail renewable energy rollout, 360 outlets worldwide go green
- Independent Nokia Technologies aiming to return to phone market - report
- Apple touts its environmental bona fides in new promotional video
- Initial Apple Watch production likely build-to-order as Apple gauges demand for different models, analyst says
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Monday, April 20, 2015